Friday, September 16, 2011

X-Factor Preview - 9-16-2011

The X-Factor is set to premiere Wednesday, September 21st at 8p.m.  Its being produced by Syco Television and Freemantlemedia North America. More information about the Origin of the show can be found here. As seen in that link, the show was initially started in the U.K., where it was the top rated show. Based on previous shows to come over from the U.K., I think this serves well for this show because other shows have been successful. The "X-Factor" of the X-Factor has to be Simon Cowell in my opinion. There are numerous singing shows that get air time, but Simon Cowell is the most popular and controversial in my opinion. He was a big reason American Idol became so popular, and although some may think the X-Factor is just another knock off of American Idol, they would be wrong. As opposed to American Idol, groups can compete together on The X-Factor. The stakes have also been raised. The winner of the X-Factor will receive a 5 million dollar recording contract.

Here is a link to bios of all of the judges.  As seen, there a two familiar faces to this type of singing competition. But there are two newer faces as well. We are pretty aware of what Simon and Paula will bring to the table. But newcomers Nicole Scherzinger and L.A. Reid should bring different personalities to the show, it is just unknown what those personalities will be. I do not know much about L.A. Reid so he is the one I'm most interested to see.  Nicole Scherzinger is a member of the Pussycat Dolls singing group. From what I have seen from her on TV from interviews and such, I get a feeling she might be Paula 2.0. I'm hoping I am wrong because one Paula is enough, but that is just the vibe I get. I'm hoping L.A. plays a role similar to Randy Jackson did on American Idol, but then again, I also don't want it to feel like American Idol with a different African American judge. The way these two new judges act when analyzing the contestants could be important to the kind of start this show gets. Towards the end people watch to see the talented singers, but in the beginning, the analysis and rudeness of the judges is very important in my opinion.

The X-Factor vs. American Idol comparisons have already began. I think that the comparisons to American Idol help reel in audiences for at least the first couple of episodes. After that, it will be the viewers decision on whether or not the like the changes from Idol to the X-Factor. I think FOX is the perfect network for the X-Factor since they are the network to air American Idol. It helps to have that time slot locked into two shows that are similar but different. Fans of voice competition shows will tune in to any sort of show in my opinion. With other shows like the Sing-Off and The Voice doing well, it shows that as long as the talent is there, people will tune in.

I'm looking forward to the first episode this coming Wednesday, and looking forward to following the ratings and blogging about this show. I personally am a huge Simon Cowell fan, which is why I really wanted to discuss this particular show. So remember to tune in Wednesday and Thursday at 8p.m. and see what you think about it.

4 comments:

  1. hmmm... I respectfully disagree with the author, though commend his enthusiasm, that this show is not just another American Idol. Of course it is. It is created and produced by Cowell, who in fact put AI on the map. He has conspicuously chosen replica counterparts resembling those on AI. Does media need yet another "reality" show? Of course, I am in the minority, but am certainly steadfast and convicted to this belief. Reality television is as entertaining, to me, as cookie-cutter, boy band "music." Note the parenthetical reference to music. I'm thinking I may have to make a side-bet with the author on whose show will stand the test of time.

    jdm

    ReplyDelete
  2. this show ought to be given as a textbook example of "likable" talent, audience interaction, a proven formula, and auspices...i hate saying this, but x factor wil be the highest rated show of the season

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on. Haven't we seen enough productions of singing and talent competitions. Shows like these should all be shunned from anyone's eyes.

    I say this only because more viewers are more concerned with the judges than the talent the show produces.

    I hope X-Factor is able to change my mind, but I never became interested in American Idol, and I don't think I'll become interested in this show.

    That is why I'm going to rely on your blog for more information. If I think it's worth watching, I'll give it a go.

    However, the executives at FOX know what people love, and unfortunately it's shows like these. The X-Factor will succeed and most likely be the most watched program this fall.

    Maybe Simon and Paula will slowly begin hating one another, causing the show to flop, but until then I suppose we are stuck with the misery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that LA Reid is involved in this project is what really intrigues me. Hes been involved in the careers of many R&B artists since the 80s and like Jimmy Iovine's involvement with AI, it adds a different dimesion. Though other than that it just seems like American Idol Red, I hope more curveballs are thrown into the picture later on like they did with The Voice.

    ReplyDelete